Race homemade rockets, airplanes, birds, or your own creation on homemade zip lines. Discover how the length and steepness of the line affect how the items move.
- Paper tube
- Craft supplies (paper, tape, markers, paint, feathers, duct tape, glue, craft sticks, etc.)
- Fishing line or thread
- Create an original “racer” by decorating the paper tube as a car, bird, airplane, rocket, or other items with the craft supplies you have available. Allow drying thoroughly if necessary.
- Locate two sturdy objects to which you can secure the fishing line.
- Secure the fishing line to one object.
- Thread the racer on to the other end of the fishing line.
- Secure the fishing line to the other object.
- Slide the racer to one end of the fishing line (the side that is higher).
- Release the racer and watch it zip across the line.
- Repeat and experiment with different lengths of line and by changing the heights of objects to which it is secured.