Create some healthy under-the-sea-themed snacks to share during a picnic, barbecue, or any time that suits your family. Here are some ideas to get you started. See if your child can come up with some of his own creations to add to the list.
- Bananas (not peeled)
Sea Star Sandwiches
Use a star-shaped cookie cutter to transform your child’s favorite sandwich, toast, waffle, pancake, or slice of cheese into a sea star.
Fish in the Sea
- Fish-shaped crackers
- Cream cheese
- Rice cake
- Blue food coloring
- Mix a scoop of cream cheese with a drop or two of blue food coloring. Stir well.
- Spread the blue cream cheese onto the rice cake.
- Place several fish-shaped crackers into the “sea” of blue cream cheese.
- Take a picture of your creation. Then eat and enjoy.
Add baby carrots standing upright or florets of broccoli to create a coral reef for the fish to hide in.
- Round crackers
- Peanut butter, cream cheese, hummus, or cheese spread
- Yogurt-covered raisins (white)
- Spread peanut butter, cream cheese, hummus, or cheese onto one cracker.
- Place one yogurt-covered raisin off center in the peanut butter, cream cheese, hummus, or cheese. This is the bottom of the mouth of the clam with the “pearl”.
- To make the eyes put two small dollops of peanut butter, cream cheese, hummus, or cheese onto the top of the other cracker about thumb width apart. Place a raisin on each.
- Set the cracker with the eyes on top of the cracker with the pearl.
- Take a picture of your clams. Eat and enjoy!